the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Weaning from Boobie Juice


And so the weaning process begins. Each week, I will reduce the amount of boobie juice by one ounce, and replace that with moo milk. Kasen was very aware of the difference in taste between the two, so I am weaning slowly so that he gets used to it. It is also gentler on his system as his body gets used to cow milk, though I have to watch closely for any potential constipation.

This is the schedule, starting Saturday July 27:

Week 1: 4 oz breast milk, 1 oz cow milk
Week 2: 3 oz breast milk, 2 oz cow milk
Week 3: 2 oz breast milk, 3 oz cow milk
Week 4: 1 oz breast milk, 4 oz cow milk
Week 5+: 5 oz cow milk 4X per day

I initiate the change each Saturday morning during the first feeding. Since Kasen had previously been drinking 5X a day of 5oz (150ml), the doctor suggested we also wean one feeding so that he eats more food. So far that's been working fairly well, though at times it isn't consistent given that his grandpa (yeh yeh!) who takes care of him during the day when we are both at work 4X a week sometimes gives him a little bit more milk. So far so good!

It's also been great because I have been reducing the number of times I pump per day. I have gone from 4X to 3X and now to 2X. Definitely excited to get my time back!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig