the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Milestones: First REAL food + 6 Month Check Up + Full Roll Over!



Wow! What a chock full of milestones today!

Kasen had his 6 month check-up today even though he's not turning 6 months for another week. He had his usual vaccinations (the names of the vaccinations are ones that I cannot for the life of me remember nor pronounce, but we do have it on record somewhere) and of course hated them, but what baby doesn't? haha. I rarely see him cry so it was actually a bit funny to see him turn all red =P. I'm a cruel mommy, but honestly he's cute even when he cries haha.

So far he is 17.7 lbs (50 percentile), 28 inches long (95 percentile) and his head circumference is 17.5 (83 percentile). Phew. Steady eddy in terms of his growth trajectory. I hope it continues. Part of me wants to geek it out and make some trajectory charts in excel, but I think it will refrain. That would just show that I have too much time in my hands and in all honesty, I really don't. I mean why else would I be up at 3 in the morning!? After pumping, cleaning all of bottles, bowls, and teething toys and getting all of his belongings ready to be brought over to the in-laws, it's nice to actually sit down and relax (while normally I would say a glass of wine, since I'm nursing it's organic milk and a chocolate chip cookie, hah!) and recall the day of just multiple milestones on many fronts.

Kasen and Daddy at the doctor's office very anxiously awaiting  the shots =(
We decided to start Kasen on veggie solids today too with the doc's okay (he doesn't really LOVE his rice cereal). We figured his poo is already stinky, and at this point he is more than ready for it given his VERY avid interest in our food (he's always trying to reach for whatever we are eating). Needless to say, I was extremely excited to whip out the Beaba baby food maker that one of my old roomies and bestest of friends, Vincy got us for Kasen's shower a while back. Since I planned to make a large batch in advance, I brought out the oxo 2 oz storage containers to freeze the extras for future meals this week. Our pediatrician suggested we start with mild veggies first instead of sweets since it is generally more difficult to get babies to enjoy veggies. So we started out first with sweet potatoes after Kasen had a tablespoon of the rice cereal (apparently he needs to continue eating this for his iron intake). We were so excited that we took a video. His first facial expression was priceless - you could almost see it working his way through his mind. He was confused at first, and as he tasted it and smacked his lips you could tell he really liked it. Ah. I love that he finally gets to begin his journey of loving food like we do. By the way. This little Beaba baby food maker is AMAZING. And so easy to use! I can't wait to use it next. Maybe peas? Or pumpkin or butternut squash! Hum. So many choices!

Sweet potato!


The equipment

Diced sweet potatoes ready to go!


First batch done!


Voila! Delicious pureed sweet potatoes. I actually salivated while spooning it out of the food processor =)
The aftermath?




After he finished eating, you could tell how elated Kasen was. He smiled non-stop so I snapped photo after photo like the crazy wannabe pappo I am. Completely melting my heart each time he did so. And those two little teeth. Hilarious!



   







    

And one other surprise. He executed what I call a "full roll over". I.e. he rolled over from the back to the front back to his back again! That came completely out of the blue. Fun times!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig