the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Favorite Food Scissors

Scissors, courtesy of the Bitten Word

Asian moms carry around a small food scissor with them everywhere to cut their toddler's food. I have one in my bag and another in my toddler's backpack/cooler. Being the OCD mom that I am I have several pairs - a back up for the back up for the back up. My absolute favorite one is from Japanese brand Sanrio - we have a Shinkansen one (bullet train), Hello Kitty, and My Melody. They are stainless steel, are a great design in that they open and close with ease, are ergonomically shaped (important when you are vigorously cutting something down!), and come with a cute carrying case. They're made in Japan to boot, which signals to me quality of construct. I bought all of these on eBay as they were impossible find anywhere else. I did find similar ones on the Sanrio website, and might purchase one to see how it is. But hands down, no other scissor has come close! Who knew anyone could be so particular about toddler food scissors, hah!

Sanrio Shinkansen Food Scissors




The Bounty!

Anyway, these just came into the office and when I saw the Sanrio packing tape on the outside of the box I became very excited. Come on. It's the little things in life, right?

On the bottom of the totem pole? I purchased the Tiny Bites food shears from Amazon a little while back. Supposedly they are award-winning but I don't find anything award winning about it. Admittedly I always reach for them last - ONLY when all of the others are dirty. These scissors are difficult to open and close, and this is a big deal especially when you're cutting meats and veggies into little pieces quickly - it's just not very ergonomic. I also dislike the notch on the blades - if you put it in correctly into the sleeve it gets stuck. This drove me insane - I only now have one usable pair because they other scissor won't come out of the sleeve. When you're a mom on the go the last thing you are thinking about is putting a scissor back into its sleeve correctly. After that experience I never bought another pair. It seems to be a mom's favorite, but not this mom's! I feel like I've tested every baby product there is and I'm always looking for something better.

Tiny Bites Food Shears


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig