the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Monday, February 22, 2016

The Concrete Jungle Where Dreams are Made Of - Our Short NYC Trip

Derek Zoolander Who?
We headed to NYC for a short trip during Kasen's February vacation - I felt bad we couldn't go anywhere given the Zika virus warnings. Usually this time of the year we are at some tropical destination (Kasen's been to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Florida, and several Caribbean islands given the cruise we took last year - St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, St. Maarten - all before he was 3!). He's a fantastic traveler and loves going on adventures, so I felt bad we couldn't take him anywhere. We briefly contemplated going to Hong Kong this fall given the huge sale on Cathay Pacific ($683 ROUNDTRIP. From Boston!) but we realized the baby would only 4 months at the time, and so we decided to wait. I'm itching to go somewhere, so perhaps we'll do something around the holidays - Ken really wants to do Hawaii since we've never been, and the food and exploration aspects of it seem so enticing, so I think it's entirely possible we'll do that. Kasen loves animals and nature, so given the geckos running around everywhere, the fish galore and the pineapple plantations abound I don't think he'll have a problem enjoying himself. 

That aside, I was excited to go ANYWHERE as I've been having cabin fever living with the (crazy) in-laws during the week. We were having high tea in honor of our friend Jeff who was getting married next month, so we thought this was the perfect excuse to get away. We used to get discounted hotel prices through my mother-in-law, but now that she's retired that isn't an option anymore - but I've been finding that being a member of Marriott has helped quite a bit. We managed to find a Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott that was on Fifth Ave + 37th - and being the mom I am, I was thrilled because it was near the trains, there was a parking lot nearby where we could get validated parking for $30 through Marriott instead of the usual $70, free hot breakfast, warm cookies in the evening, and coffee/tea/hot chocolate available all day in the cafe! Winning! I'm always looking for these kinds of things because you can never be too prepared. And since we were planning on going to the Museum of Natural History, it was an easy 15 minute ride on the subway to get there, along with dinner with our friends Nancy and Anthony (lovingly called Onion) and their three awesome kiddos. It's awesome - I haven't lived in NYC since 2008, but every time I'm back I feel like I'm in my NYC element again. Love how that makes you feel! As my co-worker says - when you're in NYC you feel like you're in the center of the world. Despite the stress and craziness and insane proximity of people, NYC is one of those places you can't help but fall in love with given the intense amount of energy and talent concentrated in such little space.

In any case, we had a blast. Pictures from Museum of Natural History (coolest museum I've ever been to, hands down), dinner, and high tea over at the Plaza Hotel to follow! We'll be heading to NYC (or the outskirts) again in the next month for Jeff + Rob's wedding, and again in July for Vincy + Fong's wedding. So excited!


The Z Unit

Father & Son

Admiring the Concrete Jungle
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig