the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Friday, July 24, 2015

Date Night with the Little Man



Building Blocks at Whole Foods' Play Area

Since Ken was given 4 tickets to the Red Sox game this evening, that meant that it was Kasen and mommy kind of night - mommy and baby date night! I like giving Kasen choices because I want him to learn to express himself - so I let him choose between dinner at the mall or dinner at the market. Of course he chose dinner at the market. We proceeded to get our usual weekday haul (fruits, veggies, milk, meats) and picked up our favorites from the Whole Foods Burrito Bar. Let me tell you, the burrito bar may not sound like much, but it's legit. I think it's formulaically put together by a sweet old Mexican grandmother because the flavors are amazing. Our favorite is the pork carnitas, and I like to get mine in a tortilla bowl with all of the fix-ins. Guacamole is free! YES, FREE! No paying extra for it. Take that, Chipotle. And I love their mango pineapple salsa. So mild. For the little man a pint of rice and beans is a mere $1.49. Kasen loves rice and beans. We always get ours with black beans and pinto beans over the rice, and mix it with what Kasen calls "market soup" - which is what Whole Foods' calls "Mom's Chicken Soup." It's really good and homey tasting and is probably the most popular soup in the prepared foods section for good reason. That, my friend was dinner for Kasen and myself that night. Afterwards I let him play in the play section (how cool is it that they have one!?) - he couldn't find the animals he loves to play with (crocodile, snakes and the like) so he start his favorite other activity - building a giant tower of blocks. He is rather obsessive about building a "perfect" tower of 4 blocks stacked neatly in a square. Then...he'd knock them down. Over and over. Sign.

Right by the play area Whole Foods also provides a sink and a UV water bubbler. Pretty awesome. Not sure if this is characteristic only to our Wellesley Whole Foods or if this is normal at all Whole Foods, but we certainly do love our neighborhood market. 

To cap off the night we got some chocolate Cold Fusion Gelato. Kasen's favorite is mint chocolate chip - none of that unfortunately. The kid's size is $1.49. So cheap. But it's big enough for an adult. Kasen usually takes a few licks and then hands it off to me. Not that I'm complaining. Funny how I've slowly begun to like chocolate because well, I'm typically forced to finish what he doesn't eat.

Needless to say, we had a blast.


And knocking them down...
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig