the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Everything's Bigger in Texas



As Wednesday approached I was noticing that Kasen's cough was getting worse, and decided that since I was in Texas on Thursday and Friday for business that I should take precautions and bring him to see the doctor given his history with bronchial issues. Since it was early stage, our nurse practitioner (everyone knows him in the office now because of how often we are there) recommended that we start him on budesonide + albuterol again, which is more effective early than later. He's in good spirits though with no fever or any other issues, so we are hoping to lick it fast. It's amazing how much Kasen loves going to the doctor - he loves the dinosaurs there, the fish tank, and the people (he says hi and bye to everyone, and attempts to have conversations with them). Even with the doctor he loves following directions (breathe in, breathe out, sticking out tongue) and expresses great delight in doing so. Charlies' is a the local hospital coffee shop that sells the best fresh baked cookies that we discovered while I was staying at Newton Wellesley and had just delivered Kasen. Kasen led me down there and helped to choose three cookies - "one for mom, one for dad, and one for Kasen!" which included sugar, chocolate chip, and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

I had a 6am flight out of Houston on Thursday morning, so that meant I was up super early to finish my light packing and making sure Kasen was all set for the next two days. I was pretty nervous because Kasen has been exhibiting separation anxiety - basically freaking out if I am not home before he is or if I leave the room. I'm hoping he can get over these issues soon given that pre school starts in a few months!

In the company of Ferragamo + Celine

While waiting for my early morning breakfast at Berkshire Farms Market, a woman next to me complemented my Ferragamo flats and could not stop gushing about them. They are dubbed "animal print" in "nero/cacao" but can also be considered somewhat of a camo print as well as it is fairly abstract. In any case, we had a good conversation about the quality of Ferragamo (excellent, tney last forever!),  how much we love the Varina flats with bows, and how you can score them on sale (I got mine from Bloomingdale's during a major sale in October last year). Seriously the best work shoe, eve and it beats wearing black. And doubles as an awesome casual flat, too, depending how you style it.

My traveling gear for work is completely different from my traveling gear with family, as you can imagine. My family travel gear includes a backpack and giant tote bag, as well as giant luggage to fit my, Ken's and Kasen's stuff. Our favorite luggage has hands down been Burton's travel bags, which we discovered when we were searching for snowboarding gear several years ago. They're well constructed, have a smooth glide given its skate board wheels, and has extra cram space in case you need to stuff it. It's called the Burton Wheelie Double Deck luggage. We have two at home! They're super durable and have held up nicely given several trips to Whistler, Europe, and Asia.


For this trip however I needed something a little lighter, so it called for the Burton Wheelie Flight Deck Travel Bag, which is a carry-on version. I've had the Burton Mocha Plaid print for years but it isn't exactly the most business friendly appearance wise, so I decided to get one in the new Eclipse Polka Dot. I love it. Navy blue with light blue polka dots (I love polka dots) - still has some sass, but can get away with it being okay in a business oriented environment. And I also brought out one of my bags that doesn't get to see the light of day much because being a mom with a toddler doesn't really allow it, though I do bring it to work at times - but my Celine Phantom came with me on the trip. It fits so much, though it can be burdensome to carry since it is on the heavier side.


Celine Phantom + Burton Wheelie Flight Deck in Eclipse Polka Dot

I was worried that my travel plans for work would be canceled or delayed because of the uncharacteristic flash floods in Houston (and threatening in Dallas) but flights were remarkably on time and as scheduled. When landing in Houston I found it to be too humid, with the damage from the floods a bit more spread out than one would think (media sensationalized everything!) and let's just say I'm not a fan. 


I flew out to Dallas that same day and fell in love with Dallas. There's something about the city that's alluring. Apparently there is significant net migration into Dallas, with individuals and companies flocking to the state due to the business friendly no income tax regime. Not to mention a lower cost of living and lower gas prices overall given the proximity to big oil (even though that's not a major employer anymore). I stayed at the beautiful Rosewood Crescent.


6am - Waiting for the elevator and before my morning coffee!

Welcome to the Rosewood Crescent Hotel Dallas



Cloudy Skies


I also had a chance to briefly take a break and shop at SHAK - Stanley Korshak's more contemporary line and picked up some cute tanks and a really gorgeous and well made Rag & Bone Blazer with zips and leather accents for 50% off. I saw some vintage (but in great condition) Chanel mini bags "on sale" for $2,200 in Stanley Korshak's main store - while a steal, I just couldn't do it, and at this point I'm feeling like this whole Chanel-craze is a little overdone so I am looking to sell some of my vintage pieces, likely through Real Real. But that's another story, another post!
My Dressing Room Picks at the SHAK



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig