the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Conversations with Kasen


Early lunch at Whole Foods


Conversation #1

On Saturday, after coming back from Whole Foods I was planning on making my short rib stew for dinner that evening, but realized I had forgotten to buy chicken and beef broth. I especially love Trader Joe's broths because of how much more flavorful they were in comparison to the Whole Foods ones, and they were also cheaper at about $2.29 a carton. At the same time I announced that I was going to Whole Foods, almost expecting Kasen to want to come with me, Aibo began barking, which meant he wanted to be taken outside to do his business. Kasen also equally just as much loves to go outside - he's into all things creepy crawly. Bugs, worms, you name it. He was torn. This was our conversation:

Mom: Kasen, I'm going to go now to Trader Joe's to get some broth. I will be back very fast!
Kasen: No Mom, you don't need to get broth!
Mom: How about I bring you back some treats?
Kasen: I have plenty of treats at home. I have chocolates, lollipops, and pops!

At this point Ken and I look at eachother and we burst out laughing while Kasen looks at us trying to figure out why we are laughing so hard.

Kasen ultimately chose to go outside, but said as he was leaving,"Mom, you stay home, don't go to the market!"

I went to the market, and when he returned and didn't see me at home Ken told me Kasen cried for 10 minutes before crying himself to sleep (he woke up early that day and was in dire need of a nap) on the floor. Aww. Funny kid.




The latest rotation of books



Conversation #2

Later that night as we are getting ready for bed, Kasen has made me read several books. In fact, it's been a constant over the last few months - his love of books is insatiable and knows no bounds. He loves them. On some nights he makes us read 4, on others it's 6! If he had any control over it he'd probably have us read an unlimited amount of books. They have begun to be time consuming because they aren't short books! I put away many of the younger books that he no longer reads in efforts to pare down his library. If you try to skip them he will whine and get so upset that you realize it's much easier just go to through the chore as cutting corners is a much worse fate unfortunately. But it's a routine that takes 45 MINUTES! Ah! It's typically been the Jurassic World book, My First Dinosaur Book, My Big Animal Book, and the Little Kids First Big Book of Bugs. We've recently added Count 1,2,3, and surprisingly a Christmas book - Elmo's Merry Christmas (which we found in Wellesley Recycling Center's free Pick-Up Drop-Off section, a treasure trove of stuff, particularly in a town like Wellesley!)

Anyway, we get through the third book when Ken comes in to the room and leaves, leaving the door wide open. This is our conversation about it:

Kasen: Mom, wait. Stop reading. The door is open, I need to close it or someone will come in and bite me while I am sleeping.
Mom: Okay Kasen, I will keep reading while you go close the door.
Kasen: No mom! No reading! Wait for me!

He gets so upset if you don't wait for him - whether it's to go downstairs, or to go outside to let Aibo out. I'm a horrible mom, but I think it's adorable to see his expressions as they are all so extreme.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig