the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Friday, March 13, 2015

Five for Friday


1. Joyce Wan's latest children's book: The Whale in my Swimming Pool"One sunny day, a little boy heads outside for a swim, but his pool is already taken . . . There's a big whale in the water and it's not budging! The boy tries everything to get the whale to leave. Nothing seems to work. Not fetch. Not tag. Not even offering his allowance. What's a boy to do? Luckily, he comes up with the perfect solution: he decides to chill out on a spray of water over the whale's spout.

This colorful whale of a tale from the talented Joyce Wan is sure to inspire giggles from little guppies!"

Honestly, how cute is this? We love Joyce and all of her books (we have them all). You know we've got this tee'd up for pre-order as this will be released on April 7, 2015.


2. What to Buy/Not Buy at Costco. If you're a fan of Costco like our family, chances are you absolutely love the potential value it yields but at times end up wasting the perishables. Outside of the $5 rotisserie chickens and the $1.50 hot dogs with drinks and $1.99 slices of pizza, we'd also buy 5 lb bags of asparagus for example only for us to eat a third of it and the rest goes down our insinkerator because it went bad (we just couldn't finish it in time). Those sizes are best left to giant families or big parties I'm thinking. I came across this link and thought it was a great way to narrow it all down.



3. Yves Saint Laurent's Glossy Stain. Woah. What a mouthful!As a mom I don't have time to keep reapplying lipgloss or lipstick, but I still want to look somewhat human. In my last trip to Sephora I came across YSL's glossy stain - it has the texture and shine of a gloss, with the long wear of a stain. so it lasts a while. Perfect for throwing into my Celine Nano! Revolutionary. I love it. I have number 103, Pink Taboo (a watermelon pink) from the Rebel Nudes collection. And it's made in France. Swoon.


4. Popcorners. I have a toddler that loves kettlecorn popcorn for its juxtaposing sweetness and saltiness. The problem is that popcorn seeds often gets caught in teeth or in the throat, resulting in my little guy coughing to get it out. Enter popcorners.  Kasen loves these things. They're in the form of chips, are crispy, and are tasty. We buy these in the 40 count box from Amazon - a steal! Let's face it. These taste best when they're fresh and not stale and so I have found that the giant bag from Costco just doesn't cut it. These 1.1 oz bags come out to just around 25 cents a piece from Amazon. I'll throw this into my bag as one of Kasen's snacks (more on toddler snacks later).

KIDS LIGHT WARM PADDED VESTKIDS LIGHT WARM PADDED VEST

5. Uniqlo Light Warm Padded Toddler Boys' Vest. Kasen's not 3 yet and the only size that they have is 3-4, and while a little long it fits great. It's not bulky at all - super lightweight, and comes in great colors. I'm thinking it's the perfect winter/spring and fall/winter transitional layering piece. We love Uniqlo - for us it's the quintessential Japanese version of GAP. When they first opened up in NYC, I was working for a global fund of funds at the time and in my spare time I'd often make my way to the Spring Street flagship store to peruse the goodies. They have always had the best collaborations - one of my favorites was the Jil Sander for Uniqlo and Velvet for Uniqlo collections.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig