the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Adventures in Fooding: Kasen's Feeding Schedule at 11 Months

Lately, this has been Kasen's typical feeding schedule:

6:30am - wake
7am - 5 oz bottle of milk
8:30am - breakfast! baby yogurt (yobaby or wallababy!) oatmeal with applesauce or mashed bananas
10am - 5 oz bottle of milk, nap
12pm - wake
12:30pm - lunch! chunky salmon and spinach rice porridge or turkey and chicken with carrots and star pasta soup, self-feeding veggies (broccoli and carrots) and fruit for dessert (chunky pears, bananas, apricots)
1:30pm - 5 oz bottle of milk
3pm - snack! yogurt, fruit, or cheerios
4pm - 5 oz bottle of milk, nap
5:30pm - wake
6pm - snack! yogurt, fruit or cheerios
7pm - dinner! beef, carrot and potato rice porridge, fruit and vegetable (sometimes if they go well together we will mix it), and fruit for dessert (blueberries with apple sauce, whole strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
8pm - bath!
8:30pm - reading time!
9pm - 8 oz bottle of milk, bed time

Kasen has between 25-28 oz of breast milk per day, which is what our pediatrician recommends that he continues to drink. We supplement that with his solid foods, which vary significantly. I typically purchase all of Kasen's foods organic where I can, and I make all of my own food through steaming, braising, pureeing (other than yogurt, that is). I am religious about sticking to organic particularly for the dirty dozen, with the list below:

12 Most Contaminated
  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
12 Least Contaminated
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya
That means from that list I always try to buy organic apples, applesauce, strawberries, pears, peaches, and spinach. I really should try and find more organic potatoes as well. I also buy baby yogurt, raspberries, swiss chard, blueberries, broccoli and cereal organic. I'm particularly conscious of making sure he eats balanced meals healthfully, with lots of variety. And where I can I steam veggies and fruits so that he can self-feed. Currently Kasen loves berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), steamed florets of broccoli, and fish, particularly fresh cod and snapper and salmon. I love that he loves fish! What a great source of not only protein but natural DHA. At some point we would like to introduce Chinese veggies, too.

I love that I have a foodie on my hands!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig