the fabulous adventures of a full-time working mom raising a toddler in boston

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Kane's Donuts

Kane's Donuts just opened up in Boston's Financial District. And the best part? They've been around since 1955 and are not only legit (having generated a cult following and solid reputation) but have been part of what seems like a "hipster" trend of artisanal donuts....years ago. I first enjoyed the hipster donut trend in NYC, first with Doughnut Plant (drool). It came late to Boston in the last year, I've had both Union Square Donuts and Blackbird Donuts. Both good. But little did I know, Kane's Donuts has been churning out delicious donuts, ones that would make donut-loving Homer Simpson's mouth water in Saugus since Nineteen. Fifty. Five!

I wanted to see what the hype was all about, as we could see the shop from our office window. My co-worker had mentioned to me that these donuts were incredibly famous, having only one outpost in Saugus. I've never heard of it until now. But I love food, and I love trying new things, and I did promise Kasen a donut, so on the first day of its open yesterday I went to check it out during lunch. Sadly there was a sign that said,"Sorry! Donuts are all sold out!" As I was reading the sign an older gentleman was distraught. He said to the owner good naturedly," I have been waiting forever for you guys to open one in Boston!" The owner, Paul Delios chuckled and said,"Come back tomorrow! We had people lining up here at 6am this morning!" Um. I'm a working mom. I can't be here at 6am. At 6am I am changing diapers, brushing teeth, changing clothes, packing lunch, trying to get my toddler out the door. Sorry, not happening. I'll try my luck the next day and see what's left.

My colleague and I went around 9am this morning - there was a decent line for it. We decided we'd try our luck again later. And right before lunch I went in - no line! Just a few folks in front of me. I perused the spread - there was the legendary honey dip, butternut, coconut, snickers, turtle, and plain. I got a box of six, sans the snickers and the plain. The honeydip is for my husband, the butternut and coconut for me, and the turtle for Kasen. I did afterall promise Kasen a donut today.

L-R, T-B: honey dip, butternut, coconut, turtle

I brought the box back to the office and piqued everyone's interest - when you open the box in all its donut glory the aroma wafts. I kid you not, it does. After posting on instagram (and facebook), I ended up making another run for my co-worker since his wife requested some. While butternut and coconut were gone, jelly appeared out of nowhere! So of course being the glutton I am I had to get some of the jelly donut. Actually....I got two. Ugh. Goodbye waistline!

The verdict? We will find out tonight!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a tiny spark of happenstance | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig